"A lot of constituents contact me about housing needs, including moving property. I think it's important that you know the facts." Shabana Mahmood MP
Shabana Mahmood MP

Birmingham is in the grip of a housing crisis. Birmingham City Council is doing what it can to address the housing needs of the city’s residents with massive demand and limited supply available.

The demand for council housing is extremely high. In November 2018 12,000 households were on the waiting list.

See the table below to see how many properties were let in 2018.


Total Number of Council Properties Let Last Year

Number of bedrooms

1 2 3 4 5 6 7


Ladywood 179 187 106 14 3 0 0 0


Most people wait many years to secure a new property, or to move to a bigger property, and it’s important to be realistic about how long this takes.

See the table below to see the average number of years it takes to secure a council property.


Total Number of Council Properties Let Last Year

Number of bedrooms

1 2 3 4


Ladywood 5-10 years 10-20 years 10-20 years 50-100 years

100 years+


As you can see, a lot of people wait over 10 years on the waiting list. Some people wait over 20 years.

Frequently asked questions

Q. Can you get me a bigger or new property because you are the MP?

A. Shabana does not decide who can get a property. It is the decision of Birmingham City Council.

Q. I have been on the waiting list for a long time. Why haven’t I got a house yet?

A. There is a shortage of properties and a long waiting list. See the tables above for average wait times.

Q. Can I request for my banding to be changed based on personal circumstances or those of my children?

A. If you think you are on the wrong banding you should contact Birmingham City Council directly first. If you have not received a satisfactory service please email us at shabana.mahmood.mp@parliament.uk.

Q. I think I’m entitled to a Discretionary Housing Payment. Can you help?

A. If you are entitled to Housing Benefit/Universal Credit you may be entitled to DHP to help meet housing costs. It is not guaranteed. You should contact the Council first at this link. If you are not satisfied with the Council’s response email us at shabana.mahmood.mp@parliament.uk.

Q. I’m still not happy with the decision from Birmingham City Council. Can I appeal?

A. If you think the way your case has been handled by Birmingham City Council has been incorrect it might be possible to appeal. Often, decisions from the Housing Ombudsman are final and cannot be challenged. You should seek to resolve the case first before appealing.

Link to Instagram Link to Twitter Link to YouTube Link to Facebook Link to LinkedIn Link to Snapchat Close Fax Website Location Phone Email Calendar Building Search